In Tunas and Billfishes of the World, Bruce Collette, a leading marine ichthyologist and conservationist, and John Graves, an expert on the biology, fisheries and management of tunas and billfishes, focus on three families of fishes: Scombridae, the mackerels and tunas; Xiphiidae, the Swordfish; and Istiophoridae, Sailfish and marlins.
Accompanied by full-color, scientifically accurate illustrations by renowned marine science illustrator Val Kells, and with range maps for each species, this spectacular volume is the essential resource on this majestic inhabitants of the seas.
The book features:
- 352 pages with descriptions of 61 species of the families Scombridae, Xiphiidae, and Istiopohoridae
- over 240 scientifically precise illustrations in life-like color
- anatomy and measurements diagrams
- a key to species
- accurate and up-to-date geographic range maps
- detailed information about morphology, habitat and ecology, food, reproduction and early life history, fisheries interest, threats and conservation
- glossary of terms
- a select bibliography and a full online bibliography